FA County Youth Cup Round 2 Under 18
November 5th 2012 at Luton Town FC
Northamptonshire’s Under 18 bowed out of this season’s FA County Youth Cup after being well beaten by a strong Bedfordshire side at Luton Town’s Kenilworth Road. Despite kicking off the county found themselves a goal down after just 15 seconds. A defensive mistake let in Bradley Johnson and he fired home from 15 yards, scoring in off the far post with Alex Vitue beaten as he narrowed the angle. Despite going down to the early goal and withstanding some intense pressure from the lively Bedfordshire front line, Northamptonshire rallied well and were denied an 19th minute equaliser when David Goodman’s fierce 25 yard drive was superbly beaten away by Aaron Fulton in the Bedfordshire goal. Bedfordshire were always trying to press home their early advantage and Johnson was in fine form for them with two further opportunist goals when he was on hand to tap in goals in the 26th and 45th minutes to complete a first half hat trick.
First half injuries forced changes and Lewis Burton (for Robson Kightley) and Luke Stevens (for Harry Beckley) were brought on. Beckley had been a threat in the first half and his injury was a blow with him being forced to leave the game at half time. With a three nil deficit, Northamptonshire came out with renewed purpose and within three minutes substitute Luke Stevens pulled one back with a fine low drive after good approach work. A glorious one on one chance opened up to pull another goal back on 60 minutes but Fulton denied the County yet again with a fine save. Two minutes later, the ball was in the Northamptonshire net as Rob Norman fired Bedfordshire into an unassailable 4-1 lead. Harry Henbury replace Ryan Finnegan on 69 minutes but despite trying valiantly to keep the game alive, Northamptonshire needed an excellent save from Alex Vitue on 77 minutes to keep Bedfordshire at bay. As the game came to a close Bedfordshire’s dominance finally paid off five minutes from time with Harry Glover getting on the score sheet to make it 5-1.
Bedfordshire now go into Round 3 where they will meet either Herefordshire or Huntingdonshire.
1. Alex Vitue AFC Rushden & Diamonds
2. Aiden Brandshaw Thrapston Town
3. Michael McGannon Woodford United
4. Ben Oddy (C) Woodford United
5. Robson Kightley Woodford United
6. Connor Duncan Corby S & L
7. Harry Beckley Northampton SPA/Salisbury City
8. David Goodman Thrapston Town
9. James Harrison Corby Town
10. Ryan Finnegan Corby S & L
11. Kyle Walter Wellingborough Whitworths
12. Lewis Burton Northampton SPA/Histon
13. Sam Ward Northamptonshire School FA
14. Luke Stevens Thrapston Town
15. Dan London Northampton Spencer
16. Liam Bond AFC Rushden & Diamonds
17. Harry Henbury Histon