Coronavirus FAQ

We have understandably had many questions regarding the impact of Covid-19 on football in the County so hope the below can provide some clarification...

 Safeguarding Update

 Here are some tips to keep children safe while in isolation. 

CLick here

The question on everyone's minds.... is my league going to finish?

The FA released a statement on Thursday 26th March stating the following:

The FA and NLS Steps 3 to 6 have reached a consensus that their 2019/20 season will now be brought to an end, and all results will be expunged. This will mean no promotion or relegation of clubs between NLS Steps 3 to 6, and no promotion to NLS Step 2.  

These decisions will also apply to the Leagues and clubs who play at NLS Step 7.

The National League [NLS Steps 1 and 2] have agreed that they want to attempt to complete the competition in line with the Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and Emirates FA Cup and are therefore seeking permission from The FA that the season for this level will be extended beyond 1 June 2020 indefinitely.

The planned implementation of the restructure of the NLS will also now be deferred until the start of the 2021/22 season. 

Furthermore, we can now confirm that The FA has decided that all grassroots football is concluded for the 2019/20 season. This will allow the game to move forward and to commence planning for next season. Our County Football Associations [CFAs] will be supporting grassroots leagues over the coming days to determine how they should close out their current competitions.

 Read full statement here

Where do I now stand as a club regarding outstanding discipline?

Any suspensions left from this season will not be 'wiped clean' and they will need to be served out next season. Any outstanding disciplinary fines from the 2019-20 season will need to be paid and fines will not be expunged so no refunds will be available to be given. 

What about County Cup Finals... will these be played?

Currently, all County Cup Finals are postponed until further notice. A decision will be made on what happens moving forward in regards to this when the NFA Board and County Cup Committee meet to discuss this. As soon as this has been made, this will be communicated with all the relevant people including clubs and leagues.

We have no games but - can we still train?

In line with Government advice, people should only leave the house for essential trips and for their daily exercise. The FA have stated that there should be no football being played at the minute including matches, tournaments and training. 

If we chose to ignore advice and train, is our insurance still valid?

As stated previously, until the FA confirms that grassroots football can continue, no teams should be training. Our insurance provider Sportsguard have confirmed that clubs and teams that ignore this will not be insured during this period and any claims made will not be accepted. Those not using Sportsguard insurance will need to confirm with their insurance provider themselves.

Can I attend / affiliate tournaments?

All football is currently postponed. As a result of this Northants FA will not be sanctioning any tournaments until the FA state it's okay to play again.

My coaches DBS is about to run out - can I get this renewed and if not, can they continue coaching when football restarts?

As you know, every coach working with U18's regularly needs an in date DBS check. We are aware that some individuals may expire during this time of no football and are currently awaiting advice from the FA in regards to expiring DBS qualifications during this period. As soon as we know this will be communicated to clubs and leagues. To renew a DBS, we need to verify the relevant documents and this is not possible at the current time due to government instructions. 

Can we still charge club fees whilst all football is postponed?

This will be a club decision. We would advise that clubs consult with parents, guardians and players before making a decision. Clubs should take into consideration the impact COVID-19 has had on some people in regards to their income and their jobs. If anyone has any questions regarding this, please email Maria.Murphy@NorthantsFA.com and she will be able to offer advice. 

What will happen with 2020/21 Affiliation and Costs?

It is yet to be confirmed if the affiliation window will change due to COVID-19 for 2020/2021. As soon as we have more information on this we will let clubs and leagues know.

Will the referee registration window still open at the same time?

The referee registration window will open on 1st June 2020. The in-date safeguarding requirement needed to register will be deferred to season 21/22.

When Will Coach Education Courses Resume? 

All courses are postponed for the foreseeable future. When the current Government advice changes and we receive confirmation from FA Learning that courses can resume we will make an announcement.